Meet Bethany Williams Canberra Mum & Candidate
Meet Bethany Williams Canberra Progressives candidate for Yerrabi
ABOUT ME (and MY EXPERIENCE)
– – – – –
I’d like to introduce myself to you. My name is Bethany Williams, and I’m a single Canberra mum from Crace. I have two kids (12 and 13) who are budding basketball and netball players, and I juggle my time between sports, full-time work, volunteer work, and now, campaigning for the election in October. Work-wise, I spent 12-years in the Australian Public Service, giving me great insight into government bureaucracy and politics in general, and I now want to use my experiences to help my community have a stronger voice in the ACT Legislative Assembly.
My proudest achievement is starting the Canberra Nippers in 2016, which I did because there was a huge gap in teaching Canberra kids vital water safety and survival skills. So many Canberra families go to the coast every summer, and we need a surf lifesaving program in the ACT to better equip our kids for the surf.
– – – –
I have always thought that politics was the realm of men. Rich, connected, powerful men. But there are so many grave issues facing us going forward that these men are simply not addressing, and I’m worried about my kid’s future.
I felt so helpless not being able to do anything about the chaos that’s going on in the world around us, and as Lily Tomlin said “Somebody should do something about that. Then I realised I am somebody.” Politics is a great way to make meaningful change, and now that I have embraced my inner political agitator, I reckon I am ready to get into the mix and fight to make the world a better place.
I’M PASSIONATE ABOUT…
– – – – –
I want to bring my strong values, my integrity, my passion and my empathy into government and use it to improve how politics is done.
• I want to STOP domestic violence and the murder of more than one woman a week in Australia.
• I want to push for more funding for women experiencing DV/FV, disadvantage and homelessness.
• I want to FIGHT climate change AND support businesses. Action on climate change and supporting business are not ‘mutually exclusive’.
• I want to stop the influence of vested interests (fossil fuel companies and Murdoch federally, and greedy property developers in the ACT).
• I want to advocate for First Nations People and amplify THEIR voices (instead of being a white person speaking for them and drowning their voices out).
• I want to better embrace and support our beautiful multicultural community and stop the ‘us’ and ‘them’ culture that continually excludes their voices in places where decisions are made, and causes them to experience racism – continually.
• I want to build more schools and improve education standards in the ACT.
– – – – – –
Please follow me on Facebook: Bethany Williams – Canberra Progressives, and you can send me an email at email@example.com if you would like to discuss any community matters of importance to you.